Tag Archives: Boat Motor

Covers Complete! (5 months)

Weekend 25 & 26 November 2017

Its amazing what can be done when the weather clears up. On the Saturday I managed to install the covers to the front of the boat shed and place some more plywood on the floor – only 4 sheets to go then the floor will be complete also.

Sunday, with help from my father, we installed the cover over the rear section and framed a timber louvre to allow some air flow. We also did a tidy up and I built a step into the rear door. Just have a pair of doors to build now and the last few sheets of ply and we will be back onto the boat proper.

Some other small jobs completed were the removal of the scaffold from the rear entry and removal of the temporary roof from where the wheel house was removed. Just to say that I did work on the boat I also removed the sliding doors from the rear cabin and what was left of the fabric covers.

 

Boat Shed Floor

Sunday 25.09.2017

Started framing out the port side shed floor, ready to take the plywood floor, will repeat the process on the starboard side. Also dropped into the timber merchants and purchased the last of the truss material – 4 more to go.

More Canopy Work

17.09.2017

FINALLY … back on ANZAC over the weekend (Sunday) – spent 4 hours with Terry putting up purlins, replaced a truss which was brought down by last weeks storm – a case of having put it in place (temporarily) 5 weeks ago as it started to rain thinking I would be back the next day to finish …. 5 weeks later the rain stops, but too late.

20170918_082857

We put the tarp back over the cockpit opening, I was hopping some of the rain and air would help air out the boat.

We have 4 trusses to go and the platform then we can cover her up.

Boat Shed Progress

29-30 July 2017 – as luck would have it, the weather has cleared up – forecast for both Saturday and Sunday clear blue sky’s! Perfect – but timing off. Busy all weekend with family, birthdays lunches etc.

I did manage 2-3 hours on the Saturday afternoon to complete the base framing and measure out the top plate for the arches – cut and fixed plate to the arch already in place. Have the template now for the remainder which I can prepare on the ground.

Managed to install a few of the trusses and get part of the ridge board up.

Also had a “Jesus moment” and managed to put a nail through my finger.

Temporary Boat Shed Part 2

Has been a while – busy at work, and the weather has been constantly wet.

I have not bee slacking though. I have purchased and had delivered the first lot of timber to construct the temporary boat shed (last week).

Over the weekend we built the template for the arches – see the attached pictures. It is easier to bend the frames by simply standing on them. I marked out where the packers are to go and put a stop end on – this will allow me to make the apex match on each arch.

Now to make 12 sets of arches.

Again the timber was too wet to cut some of the larger lengths of wood – first casualty was my old skill saw (22 years old) cooked the motor – so time to get a new one.

20170702_140945

20170702_140926

20170702_140929

20170702_140937

20170702_140918

 

 

 

Temporary Boat Shed

I have had a quiet few weeks, with rain, birthdays etc. ANZAC has had to wait. In the mean time after searching for a design for a temporary cover solution I came across an example which I have developed further.

The design I settled on was similar to a traditional pacific island building, two 1/4 arches meeting a ridge board at the top, down to an edge board, and covering with old billboard sheets. I have also included a plywood platform to be installed around the inside – this will give me a better working height (as ANZAC is packed 500mm off the ground) as well as a clean platform.

I have started on one of the arches as a trial to see how it will work – will provide pictures in another post of the progress.

Below are the sketches I came up with – am now looking around the materials.

OptionsFrameDetails

Rib Review and Demolition

13 May 2016

Spent a few hours on ANZAC over the weekend, wanted to review the number of ribs which need replacing. Now that the inside has been stripped out it was much easier to inspect.

The result was that most of the ribs port and starboard in the front section require replacement with fewer towards the stern.

Summary as follows;

  • 30No ribs first section
  • 26No ribs second section
  • 14No ribs third section
  • 4No ribs fourth section

Total required 74No.

Spent the rest of my time removing the blocks (where boards have been butted up to each other.

This revealed the spot where I think she had been taking on water. Also broke out the multi tool and trimmed off some plugs on the inside of the stern quarter which had been annoying me – looks tidier now.

20170513_161535