Its amazing what can be done when the weather clears up. On the Saturday I managed to install the covers to the front of the boat shed and place some more plywood on the floor – only 4 sheets to go then the floor will be complete also.
Sunday, with help from my father, we installed the cover over the rear section and framed a timber louvre to allow some air flow. We also did a tidy up and I built a step into the rear door. Just have a pair of doors to build now and the last few sheets of ply and we will be back onto the boat proper.
Some other small jobs completed were the removal of the scaffold from the rear entry and removal of the temporary roof from where the wheel house was removed. Just to say that I did work on the boat I also removed the sliding doors from the rear cabin and what was left of the fabric covers.
Finally the weather has started to calm down and some fine days have come along. With Terry’s help we managed to get two tarpaulin’s on the frame and secured down. Another couple of days like this we will be back onto working on Anzac properly!
The whole structure has been anchored to the ground by straps and large water filled drums – there will be 4 straps with 8 drums in total – one every second truss.
I decided to drape the tarpaulin’s over as opposed to along the structure – I figure I will save myself the cost of hiring a hoist to get the last tarp on.
The rain has continued – the result being only a few hours of work on the shed over the long weekend. Terry came around and helped me install the last of the bracing (4 bays). Stopping and starting between showers. During the week I also picked up the plywood which will form the floor.
We are now ready for the cladding to go up – hopefully the rain and wind will stop and we have a clear run to finish the temporary shed.
With some time off and a break in the weather, I was able to spend some time on constructing the boat shed.
Firstly I had purchased some 220L plastic drums – 8No – which I intend to fill with water and use as weights to help secure the shed to the ground (as this is only a temporary structure). – I will show how this is to be done later.
I built a temporary platform to give me access to the last 2 trusses. I built the trusses and installed these all in one morning then continued framing out the floor ready for plywood.
The front curve frame was next – framed this up to give me enough space to be able to work around with sufficient room, dismantled the truss template and re-used these materials.
Started adding the strip bracing until I ran out of materials – have ordered some more so will complete the bracing this week.
Jobs to complete the boat shed include;
Install balance of bracing
Frame out for plywood floor
Install plywood flooring
Frame end wall, with door opening and ventilation (Make doors)
Have managed to complete the floor framing on the port side, and construct and erect two more trusses complete with purlins. Also installed the nail plates across the top of the paired trusses – effectively fixing them together. Also cleaned up and sorted the remaining timber – so more room to maneuver the cars now.
Started framing out the port side shed floor, ready to take the plywood floor, will repeat the process on the starboard side. Also dropped into the timber merchants and purchased the last of the truss material – 4 more to go.
FINALLY … back on ANZAC over the weekend (Sunday) – spent 4 hours with Terry putting up purlins, replaced a truss which was brought down by last weeks storm – a case of having put it in place (temporarily) 5 weeks ago as it started to rain thinking I would be back the next day to finish …. 5 weeks later the rain stops, but too late.
We put the tarp back over the cockpit opening, I was hopping some of the rain and air would help air out the boat.
We have 4 trusses to go and the platform then we can cover her up.