For a few hours after work spare I wanted to complete the sanding to the top deck/roof, there was only about 1/4 left to tick this job off.
Managed to get this completed as well as more sanding around the windows.
Sunday 1 July 2018
Have received confirmation that the ribs will be delivered this week some time. So need to crack on and start preparing for the installation.
Today with Terry we started to remove every second rib in the second bay on the port side. Grinding off the old copper roves and punching out the copper nails. Will need to epoxy in some plugs where the old nails have been removed.
Will source the copper nails and roves this week also, expect these to cost as much as the ribs.
Sunday 17 June 2018
Today the rear canopy was removed. After some puffing and panting Terry and I managed to get the canopy off and outside the boat shed.
Started to clean up the remainder of the window frames etc. which we cut around. ANZAC is starting to look more like her original self when first launched.
I will look to re-use the canopy although I intend to reduce the overall size of it, and add a hatch over the steering area. The windows will be increased in size also.
Only a few more items left to remove – winch, rudder, prop and misc. fittings and she will be back to the straight framing. The ribs have been ordered – due mid July. So I intend to have the last items removed and the hull sanded before the ribs arrive. Then onto replacing most if not all the ribs – need to order copper nails and roves!
Tuesday 12th June 2018
I thought I would give an update as to the progress of ANZAC since my last post back in March of this year.
The short version is that I have been posted to Christchurch for the last 9 months. Flying down from Auckland every week and returning for the weekends. The time spent at home has been with the wife and kids – ANZAC has had to wait. I am now down to the last week of my stint in Christchurch – work on ANZAC will be back on.
This last weekend, I spent a good day and a half on her with some help from Terry. – The hull has just about been completely sanded – one small section to go – this has been a rather mess job, lying on my back and sanding above my head – required goggles, full masks and ear muffs – dust every where – at the same time I was removing the caulking.
The duck board has had an initial sand down and is now removed out of the way. The dodger has now been removed and is awaiting to be re-configured – this will involve cutting the size down, installing a hatch, and replacing the small windows with new larger ones.
I am now waiting for the final quote for the supply of the 80 ribs and I will order these a.s.a.p. – at last we can start re-construction – I have had enough of the stripping out!
Feb 2018 to March 2018
I have been away in CHCH with work so work on ANZAC has slowed down somewhat. In saying that a number of tasks have been completed.
I have added a door to the end of the boat shed due to the 2 storms which it the North Island – no damage done. Pictures below.
Up to January 15, 2018
Update over Christmas and the New year period. Went for a week holiday to Fiji so not much done at all. Have however I removed the brass trim and started sanding the exterior. A bit of work to do here but the attachment to the grinder is working well and removing paint quickly.
It is all creating a lot of dust which is covering everything – the vacuum is getting a work out.
The upper deck levels where it has been glassed over looks as thought the glass is in very good condition, so may only need a light sand and patches where it is damaged and then a re-paint should do it.
I have also removed on of the port side glass panes, came out easily enough, these will all require re-glazing.
Update to 13 December 2017
Have completed the walkway platform around the boat, and am underway with the final strip out/off.
Removing brass trims, and fittings now we have a dry working area.
Have cleaned off the last of the moss etc. and dismantles the skylight. Back canopy doors have been removed (she looks like a different boat without these sliding doors).
Weekend 25 & 26 November 2017
Its amazing what can be done when the weather clears up. On the Saturday I managed to install the covers to the front of the boat shed and place some more plywood on the floor – only 4 sheets to go then the floor will be complete also.
Sunday, with help from my father, we installed the cover over the rear section and framed a timber louvre to allow some air flow. We also did a tidy up and I built a step into the rear door. Just have a pair of doors to build now and the last few sheets of ply and we will be back onto the boat proper.
Some other small jobs completed were the removal of the scaffold from the rear entry and removal of the temporary roof from where the wheel house was removed. Just to say that I did work on the boat I also removed the sliding doors from the rear cabin and what was left of the fabric covers.
FINALLY … back on ANZAC over the weekend (Sunday) – spent 4 hours with Terry putting up purlins, replaced a truss which was brought down by last weeks storm – a case of having put it in place (temporarily) 5 weeks ago as it started to rain thinking I would be back the next day to finish …. 5 weeks later the rain stops, but too late.
We put the tarp back over the cockpit opening, I was hopping some of the rain and air would help air out the boat.
We have 4 trusses to go and the platform then we can cover her up.