Author Archives: gregorypaulskinner

About gregorypaulskinner

Family Historian, uncovering the history of the Stanaway Family in New Zealand.

Moving Day!

Monday 4 March 2019

Moving day has finally arrived. Spent the last few weeks removing the canopy and preparing for today. Boat Haulage helped with the move – always impressed with the skill of these guys – a big thumps up to Pete, Luke and the team.

20190304_07595520190304_07594220190304_07592820190304_075904

The move was only 5 minutes down the road – so not long enough to blow all the dust out. Now to construct a new cover!

20190304_10215120190304_10225420190304_104614

 

 

 

ANZAC sees the light!

18 February 2019

The covers have now been removed and daylight for the first time on ANZAC for the first time in 2 years.

Moving day is now booked in for 4th March with the guys from Boat Haulage. I am now in full pack down mode (House and Launch). Spent last weekend removing the tarps and dismantling the canopy. Have already disposed of a lot of rubbish, having to be practical with what is going back on and what is junk.

As you can see she has been stripped back and has a few holes – hopefully all the dust will get a chance to blow out of her during the move! (I did vacuum already)

20190216_164326

 

 

 

 

January 2019 Update

Sorry to those who like to follow this web site – the delay in getting posts up is due to having to move ANZAC to a new location.

This is the problem with 2 year refurbishments which turn into major refits and extend into year 3 and 4 – is that life carries on. So we are moving.

January then consisted mainly of tiding up and doing the odd small job – current pictures below.

 

 

 

 

 

More Plugs & Plank removal

Week ending 7 October 2018

A weekly update here – more of the same but a lot more progress. Started the week making more plugs, removing ribs and sanding the interior planks around the bow. I then epoxied in plugs looking to finish off the port side ready for rib installation – only a few rib removals left.

For a change I cut out the damaged planks on the starboard side.

I then opened up the planks around the front stem as they looked in poor condition as well as not sitting right. One of the planks was split so needed to be replaced.

Will have to replace a section of the front stem. Finished the weekend by purchasing some Kauri planks to replace the ones removed.

 

Weekly catch up

Weed ending 16.09.2018

Not much going on at the moment work wise on the boat – spent a few hours on Sunday sanding down the plugs on the port side and then sanding the top deck.

Making plugs are sucking all the fun out of the rebuild. Will post some pictures when I get the chance.

Have been busy at work and with Coastguard stuff.

More Plugs

Weekly update – to 27 August 2018

Not much more to report other than more plugs going in. Though I did purchase a drill press to speed up the process of making the plugs.

I did crank up the steamer on Saturday for an hour, will need to modify on of the hatches as the heat has deformed part of the steam pipe.

Weekly Update

Week ending 05 August 2018

Not much happened over the last week, more plugs (will need to make some more), sanding the superstructure and I made the steam box.

Sanding – was sick of plus so I sanded down the port side of the supper structure, working my way down to the hull, no pictures but very dusty.

20180804_173225

Also cleaned up the inside of the hull where ribs removed.

Steam box – made from a 250mm dia PVC drainage pipe and a wall paper streamer, made some stands and inserted some spacers. I did a test run and it held the stream really well. I just need to add a condensation drain in the base.

 

More Rib Removal

12.07.2018

Did a further two hours tonight – removing more ribs, and sanding the interior of the hull where the ribs have been removed.

I have three more sections to remove every second rib then the plugging of the old copper nail holes and we will then be in full swing of installing newly steamed ribs.

No pictures as rib removal is bit boring to photograph as well as to look at.

Rib Removal (Con)

7 & 8 July 2018

Spent a few hours on Saturday and Sunday removing more ribs from ANZAC and cleaning up the inside of the hull.

I put the sander on to some of the interior structural timbers – the original builders used some beautiful timber when she was first built! I am also cleaning any paint from the interior side of the hull planks – this is much easier with the ribs out and is taking no time at all – it will look like new once the ribs are back in.

Rib removal is not very exciting but I am starting to see more progress. The stern section only requires 4 ribs to be replaced (as at some point this area has been replace recently) the other 3 sections we will replace them all, will be tricky around the engine beds.

The new rib material was delivered on Friday, so I dropped into the chandlery store to confirm the correct gauge copper nails – I will order these this week, but want to firstly re-count the number required. I also checked out the size of roves used – there appears to be a mixture used on ANZAC depending on where you look.

 

Will have a go at plugging the old nail holes this week.