Tag Archives: Demolition

More Plugs & Plank removal

Week ending 7 October 2018

A weekly update here – more of the same but a lot more progress. Started the week making more plugs, removing ribs and sanding the interior planks around the bow. I then epoxied in plugs looking to finish off the port side ready for rib installation – only a few rib removals left.

For a change I cut out the damaged planks on the starboard side.

I then opened up the planks around the front stem as they looked in poor condition as well as not sitting right. One of the planks was split so needed to be replaced.

Will have to replace a section of the front stem. Finished the weekend by purchasing some Kauri planks to replace the ones removed.

 

Advertisements

Pits and pieces

Update to 13 December 2017

Have completed the walkway platform around the boat, and am underway with the final strip out/off.

Removing brass trims, and fittings now we have a dry working area.

Have cleaned off the last of the moss etc. and dismantles the skylight. Back canopy doors have been removed (she looks like a different boat without these sliding doors).

Boat Shed Continued

Saturday 05.08.2017 – A few hours this morning – Took the tarp off ANZAC today, as the interior is stripped out and the boat is currently damp anyway – plus I did not want to fall through to opening where the wheel house has been removed – will fold this up ready for forming the roof.

 

I continued to install trusses – 3 of them – I will need to order some more materials for the more trusses (will need to make a further 3). Six trusses installed, seven to go!

Sunday 06.08.2017 – continued to make more trusses – made 3 today with Terry’s help. So have 4 ready for installation – we now have run out of truss material. Some of the trusses have got slight bows to them as well as the curve – a bit of a pain but  will have to do.

Rib Review and Demolition

13 May 2016

Spent a few hours on ANZAC over the weekend, wanted to review the number of ribs which need replacing. Now that the inside has been stripped out it was much easier to inspect.

The result was that most of the ribs port and starboard in the front section require replacement with fewer towards the stern.

Summary as follows;

  • 30No ribs first section
  • 26No ribs second section
  • 14No ribs third section
  • 4No ribs fourth section

Total required 74No.

Spent the rest of my time removing the blocks (where boards have been butted up to each other.

This revealed the spot where I think she had been taking on water. Also broke out the multi tool and trimmed off some plugs on the inside of the stern quarter which had been annoying me – looks tidier now.

20170513_161535

 

Bulkhead Removal

30.04.2017

Decided to remove the bulkheads surrounding the engine bay, the bulkhead to the toilet need to go anyway and the other bulkhead has been hacked around so much that there was no reason to keep it.

With the help of Terry, both walls came out relatively easily, the last of the floor where the fuel tank sat required the grinder.

We finished off the day removing the hydraulic arm and scrapping the cockpit. all this uncovered more ribs which need replacing – will mark these up record lengths and get the materials ordered.

20170501_072702

Internal Cleaning

23.04.2017

Once again Terry came round – we continued on the interior. Terry vacuumed from the stern through to the bow in sections as I scrapped out the years of mud and silt around the engine bay. The paint that was water blasted off last week had dried enough to be hovered up. Will need to spray some degreaser around and have another water blast from stem to stern – any paint left will have to be scrapped or sanded.

Not long now and we will be ready for rib replacement 🙂

I have decided to remove the internal bulkheads around the engine and toilet area, the original panels have been cut up so much that I don’t think they are worth saving – will replace with similar paneling. (I will keep some of the off cuts as these can be used to repair the rear bulkhead).

Picture quality not the greatest.

Easter Update

14 – 17 April 2017 – An update over the Easter break.

Terry came over again and gave me a hand with more internal scrapping – it was too wet over the weekend to get any lead paint on the inside.

I water blasted the interior of the forward two sections where the motor was removed and forward bunk area – the paint was more or less falling off in these areas.

Will need to remove the last of the floor boards and water blast those areas also – but will need to clean out the bucket loads of silt, mud, etc. before though – I will wait now for it to dry out.

There will be some more scrapping of the stubborn paint, but I will get the water blaster back and have another go and include the stern areas also.

I continued water blasting the forward top deck, while the covers were off, a few layers of paint came of – yellow, blue and white.

All the internal fittings have now been remove excluding the anchor chain, winch to the same and the hydraulic arm for the rudder, will try and get these removed this week and that will be the last of the demolition. Now for the cleaning and scrapping internal – this will let me finally confirm how many ribs need replacing.

Time to build a temporary cover over the entire boat.