Tag Archives: Removing paint

Sanding, scraping, vacuuming

20180103_180348Up to January 15, 2018

Update over Christmas and the New year period. Went for a week holiday to Fiji so not much done at all. Have however I removed the brass trim and started sanding the exterior. A bit of work to do here but the attachment to the grinder is working well and removing paint quickly.

It is all creating a lot of dust which is covering everything – the vacuum is getting a work out.

The upper deck levels where it has been glassed over looks as thought the glass is in very good condition, so may only need a light sand and patches where it is damaged and then a re-paint should do it.

I have also removed on of the port side glass panes, came out easily enough, these will all require re-glazing.

 

 

 

Covers Continued

19 November 2017

Again with help from Terry two more covers were placed over ANZAC. Just the ends now to complete the structures roof. Will look to install the floor soon.

20171121_070825

20171121_070713

I have used water filled drums as weights, with heavy duty straps to help weigh down the structure – reducing the risk of wind getting under the cover and lifting off.

20171121_070734

 

 

Covers Going On!

Sunday 12.11.2017

Finally the weather has started to calm down and some fine days have come along. With Terry’s help we managed to get two tarpaulin’s on the frame and secured down. Another couple of days like this we will be back onto working on Anzac properly!

20171113_083236

20171113_083130

The whole structure has been anchored to the ground by straps and large water filled drums – there will be 4 straps with 8 drums in total – one every second truss.

I decided to drape the tarpaulin’s over as opposed to along the structure – I figure I will save myself the cost of hiring a hoist to get the last tarp on.

20171113_083223

More Boat Shed Construction

Thursday 28.09.2017

Have managed to complete the floor framing on the port side, and construct and erect two more trusses complete with purlins. Also installed the nail plates across the top of the paired trusses – effectively fixing them together. Also cleaned up and sorted the remaining timber – so more room to maneuver the cars now.

Boat Shed Floor

Sunday 25.09.2017

Started framing out the port side shed floor, ready to take the plywood floor, will repeat the process on the starboard side. Also dropped into the timber merchants and purchased the last of the truss material – 4 more to go.

More Canopy Work

17.09.2017

FINALLY … back on ANZAC over the weekend (Sunday) – spent 4 hours with Terry putting up purlins, replaced a truss which was brought down by last weeks storm – a case of having put it in place (temporarily) 5 weeks ago as it started to rain thinking I would be back the next day to finish …. 5 weeks later the rain stops, but too late.

20170918_082857

We put the tarp back over the cockpit opening, I was hopping some of the rain and air would help air out the boat.

We have 4 trusses to go and the platform then we can cover her up.

Temporary Boat Shed – continued

22 July 2017

Saturday was taken up with rough water boat handling with the Coastguard Kaipara Unit I belong to – out on the bar – good stuff, short sharp swell up to a meter or so in height, we had all had enough come 1300. Even the seals with their pups had taken shelter behind South Head.

23 July 2017

Sunday – Rained on and off all day until I had had enough about 1500 – I worked on my own and continued framing up the base of the temporary boat shed. The posts are all down, just need to complete the bracing and frame the floor out ready to receive the plywood topping.

I picked up more screws and some nail plates to hold down the trusses during the week, fixed one to the truss already in position. Will need to space the remaining trusses around the opening for the motor when it is re-installed – want to be able to open the roof up drop the motor in and close it all up again.

The western end (front) of the shed I change the design to take one truss at 90 degrees to the others – creating a curved end as opposed to a flat one – this has saved some space.

 

 

 

 

Rib Review and Demolition

13 May 2016

Spent a few hours on ANZAC over the weekend, wanted to review the number of ribs which need replacing. Now that the inside has been stripped out it was much easier to inspect.

The result was that most of the ribs port and starboard in the front section require replacement with fewer towards the stern.

Summary as follows;

  • 30No ribs first section
  • 26No ribs second section
  • 14No ribs third section
  • 4No ribs fourth section

Total required 74No.

Spent the rest of my time removing the blocks (where boards have been butted up to each other.

This revealed the spot where I think she had been taking on water. Also broke out the multi tool and trimmed off some plugs on the inside of the stern quarter which had been annoying me – looks tidier now.

20170513_161535

 

Bulkhead Removal

30.04.2017

Decided to remove the bulkheads surrounding the engine bay, the bulkhead to the toilet need to go anyway and the other bulkhead has been hacked around so much that there was no reason to keep it.

With the help of Terry, both walls came out relatively easily, the last of the floor where the fuel tank sat required the grinder.

We finished off the day removing the hydraulic arm and scrapping the cockpit. all this uncovered more ribs which need replacing – will mark these up record lengths and get the materials ordered.

20170501_072702