Tag Archives: Bailey and Lowe

Boat Shed Floor

Sunday 25.09.2017

Started framing out the port side shed floor, ready to take the plywood floor, will repeat the process on the starboard side. Also dropped into the timber merchants and purchased the last of the truss material – 4 more to go.

More Canopy Work

17.09.2017

FINALLY … back on ANZAC over the weekend (Sunday) – spent 4 hours with Terry putting up purlins, replaced a truss which was brought down by last weeks storm – a case of having put it in place (temporarily) 5 weeks ago as it started to rain thinking I would be back the next day to finish …. 5 weeks later the rain stops, but too late.

20170918_082857

We put the tarp back over the cockpit opening, I was hopping some of the rain and air would help air out the boat.

We have 4 trusses to go and the platform then we can cover her up.

Boat Shed Progress

29-30 July 2017 – as luck would have it, the weather has cleared up – forecast for both Saturday and Sunday clear blue sky’s! Perfect – but timing off. Busy all weekend with family, birthdays lunches etc.

I did manage 2-3 hours on the Saturday afternoon to complete the base framing and measure out the top plate for the arches – cut and fixed plate to the arch already in place. Have the template now for the remainder which I can prepare on the ground.

Managed to install a few of the trusses and get part of the ridge board up.

Also had a “Jesus moment” and managed to put a nail through my finger.

Easter Update

14 – 17 April 2017 – An update over the Easter break.

Terry came over again and gave me a hand with more internal scrapping – it was too wet over the weekend to get any lead paint on the inside.

I water blasted the interior of the forward two sections where the motor was removed and forward bunk area – the paint was more or less falling off in these areas.

Will need to remove the last of the floor boards and water blast those areas also – but will need to clean out the bucket loads of silt, mud, etc. before though – I will wait now for it to dry out.

There will be some more scrapping of the stubborn paint, but I will get the water blaster back and have another go and include the stern areas also.

I continued water blasting the forward top deck, while the covers were off, a few layers of paint came of – yellow, blue and white.

All the internal fittings have now been remove excluding the anchor chain, winch to the same and the hydraulic arm for the rudder, will try and get these removed this week and that will be the last of the demolition. Now for the cleaning and scrapping internal – this will let me finally confirm how many ribs need replacing.

Time to build a temporary cover over the entire boat.

 

Naming “ANZAC”

14 February 2017

Have been thinking about the name on the boat including where to place it and what else I might want to go along side the name.

With out question I am going to rename the boat “ANZAC”, the name she had when my great grandfather was her skipper. To this I was going to add “Sulphur Beach, NZ” underneath in reference to her initial builders Bailey and Lowe who’s yard was on Sulphur Beach.

Bailey and Lowe Yard

I will have this in the center of the stern with “ANZAC” forming an arch over the top with “Sulphur Beach, NZ”¬†forming the opposite curve on the bottom in a slightly smaller font.

I may include some aspects of the WW1 NZEF badge in some way Рstill thinking about how.

onward-ww2

Am also thinking about putting “ANZAC” on the port and starboard side of the forward hull – we will see.