Category Archives: Hull

More Plugs & Plank removal

Week ending 7 October 2018

A weekly update here – more of the same but a lot more progress. Started the week making more plugs, removing ribs and sanding the interior planks around the bow. I then epoxied in plugs looking to finish off the port side ready for rib installation – only a few rib removals left.

For a change I cut out the damaged planks on the starboard side.

I then opened up the planks around the front stem as they looked in poor condition as well as not sitting right. One of the planks was split so needed to be replaced.

Will have to replace a section of the front stem. Finished the weekend by purchasing some Kauri planks to replace the ones removed.

 

Weekly Update

Week ending 05 August 2018

Not much happened over the last week, more plugs (will need to make some more), sanding the superstructure and I made the steam box.

Sanding – was sick of plus so I sanded down the port side of the supper structure, working my way down to the hull, no pictures but very dusty.

20180804_173225

Also cleaned up the inside of the hull where ribs removed.

Steam box – made from a 250mm dia PVC drainage pipe and a wall paper streamer, made some stands and inserted some spacers. I did a test run and it held the stream really well. I just need to add a condensation drain in the base.

 

Rib Removal

Sunday 1 July 2018

Have received confirmation that the ribs will be delivered this week some time. So need to crack on and start preparing for the installation.

Today with Terry we started to remove every second rib in the second bay on the port side. Grinding off the old copper roves and punching out the copper nails. Will need to epoxy in some plugs where the old nails have been removed.

Will source the copper nails and roves this week also, expect these to cost as much as the ribs.

 

Sanding, scraping, vacuuming

20180103_180348Up to January 15, 2018

Update over Christmas and the New year period. Went for a week holiday to Fiji so not much done at all. Have however I removed the brass trim and started sanding the exterior. A bit of work to do here but the attachment to the grinder is working well and removing paint quickly.

It is all creating a lot of dust which is covering everything – the vacuum is getting a work out.

The upper deck levels where it has been glassed over looks as thought the glass is in very good condition, so may only need a light sand and patches where it is damaged and then a re-paint should do it.

I have also removed on of the port side glass panes, came out easily enough, these will all require re-glazing.

 

 

 

Rib Review and Demolition

13 May 2016

Spent a few hours on ANZAC over the weekend, wanted to review the number of ribs which need replacing. Now that the inside has been stripped out it was much easier to inspect.

The result was that most of the ribs port and starboard in the front section require replacement with fewer towards the stern.

Summary as follows;

  • 30No ribs first section
  • 26No ribs second section
  • 14No ribs third section
  • 4No ribs fourth section

Total required 74No.

Spent the rest of my time removing the blocks (where boards have been butted up to each other.

This revealed the spot where I think she had been taking on water. Also broke out the multi tool and trimmed off some plugs on the inside of the stern quarter which had been annoying me – looks tidier now.

20170513_161535

 

Bulkhead Removal

30.04.2017

Decided to remove the bulkheads surrounding the engine bay, the bulkhead to the toilet need to go anyway and the other bulkhead has been hacked around so much that there was no reason to keep it.

With the help of Terry, both walls came out relatively easily, the last of the floor where the fuel tank sat required the grinder.

We finished off the day removing the hydraulic arm and scrapping the cockpit. all this uncovered more ribs which need replacing – will mark these up record lengths and get the materials ordered.

20170501_072702