A weekly update here – more of the same but a lot more progress. Started the week making more plugs, removing ribs and sanding the interior planks around the bow. I then epoxied in plugs looking to finish off the port side ready for rib installation – only a few rib removals left.
For a change I cut out the damaged planks on the starboard side.
I then opened up the planks around the front stem as they looked in poor condition as well as not sitting right. One of the planks was split so needed to be replaced.
Will have to replace a section of the front stem. Finished the weekend by purchasing some Kauri planks to replace the ones removed.
Have received confirmation that the ribs will be delivered this week some time. So need to crack on and start preparing for the installation.
Today with Terry we started to remove every second rib in the second bay on the port side. Grinding off the old copper roves and punching out the copper nails. Will need to epoxy in some plugs where the old nails have been removed.
Will source the copper nails and roves this week also, expect these to cost as much as the ribs.
For a couple of hours in the afternoon/evenings on Sunday and Monday I continued sanding ANZAC. Starting from the highest point and working my way down. When I take some pictures I will post them but really not very exciting to look at.
The current state of the glassed and painted surface over the main cabin roof is that patches have been worn away, in some areas the 5mm thick plywood underlay had been exposed.
The task is to sand off the paint and the fiberglass back to expose the plywood. Repair any areas then apply new glass and paint – will look to tidy up trim around the roof lights and fittings at the same time.
Progress is that 2/3’s of the main canopy has been sanded back to timber. Some areas are still in very good condition – but it all needs to go. Will need a few more sanding pads!
Today the rear canopy was removed. After some puffing and panting Terry and I managed to get the canopy off and outside the boat shed.
Started to clean up the remainder of the window frames etc. which we cut around. ANZAC is starting to look more like her original self when first launched.
I will look to re-use the canopy although I intend to reduce the overall size of it, and add a hatch over the steering area. The windows will be increased in size also.
Current state of the interior
Only a few more items left to remove – winch, rudder, prop and misc. fittings and she will be back to the straight framing. The ribs have been ordered – due mid July. So I intend to have the last items removed and the hull sanded before the ribs arrive. Then onto replacing most if not all the ribs – need to order copper nails and roves!
Started to remove rudder shaft, and the block it sits on – the block is well gone.
I thought I would give an update as to the progress of ANZAC since my last post back in March of this year.
The short version is that I have been posted to Christchurch for the last 9 months. Flying down from Auckland every week and returning for the weekends. The time spent at home has been with the wife and kids – ANZAC has had to wait. I am now down to the last week of my stint in Christchurch – work on ANZAC will be back on.
This last weekend, I spent a good day and a half on her with some help from Terry. – The hull has just about been completely sanded – one small section to go – this has been a rather mess job, lying on my back and sanding above my head – required goggles, full masks and ear muffs – dust every where – at the same time I was removing the caulking.
Last section of sanding to go
The duck board has had an initial sand down and is now removed out of the way. The dodger has now been removed and is awaiting to be re-configured – this will involve cutting the size down, installing a hatch, and replacing the small windows with new larger ones.
I am now waiting for the final quote for the supply of the 80 ribs and I will order these a.s.a.p. – at last we can start re-construction – I have had enough of the stripping out!
Update over Christmas and the New year period. Went for a week holiday to Fiji so not much done at all. Have however I removed the brass trim and started sanding the exterior. A bit of work to do here but the attachment to the grinder is working well and removing paint quickly.
It is all creating a lot of dust which is covering everything – the vacuum is getting a work out.
The upper deck levels where it has been glassed over looks as thought the glass is in very good condition, so may only need a light sand and patches where it is damaged and then a re-paint should do it.
I have also removed on of the port side glass panes, came out easily enough, these will all require re-glazing.