A weekly update here – more of the same but a lot more progress. Started the week making more plugs, removing ribs and sanding the interior planks around the bow. I then epoxied in plugs looking to finish off the port side ready for rib installation – only a few rib removals left.
For a change I cut out the damaged planks on the starboard side.
I then opened up the planks around the front stem as they looked in poor condition as well as not sitting right. One of the planks was split so needed to be replaced.
Will have to replace a section of the front stem. Finished the weekend by purchasing some Kauri planks to replace the ones removed.
Spent a few hours on Saturday and Sunday removing more ribs from ANZAC and cleaning up the inside of the hull.
I put the sander on to some of the interior structural timbers – the original builders used some beautiful timber when she was first built! I am also cleaning any paint from the interior side of the hull planks – this is much easier with the ribs out and is taking no time at all – it will look like new once the ribs are back in.
Rib removal is not very exciting but I am starting to see more progress. The stern section only requires 4 ribs to be replaced (as at some point this area has been replace recently) the other 3 sections we will replace them all, will be tricky around the engine beds.
The new rib material was delivered on Friday, so I dropped into the chandlery store to confirm the correct gauge copper nails – I will order these this week, but want to firstly re-count the number required. I also checked out the size of roves used – there appears to be a mixture used on ANZAC depending on where you look.
Will have a go at plugging the old nail holes this week.
Have received confirmation that the ribs will be delivered this week some time. So need to crack on and start preparing for the installation.
Today with Terry we started to remove every second rib in the second bay on the port side. Grinding off the old copper roves and punching out the copper nails. Will need to epoxy in some plugs where the old nails have been removed.
Will source the copper nails and roves this week also, expect these to cost as much as the ribs.
The rain has continued – the result being only a few hours of work on the shed over the long weekend. Terry came around and helped me install the last of the bracing (4 bays). Stopping and starting between showers. During the week I also picked up the plywood which will form the floor.
We are now ready for the cladding to go up – hopefully the rain and wind will stop and we have a clear run to finish the temporary shed.
Have managed to complete the floor framing on the port side, and construct and erect two more trusses complete with purlins. Also installed the nail plates across the top of the paired trusses – effectively fixing them together. Also cleaned up and sorted the remaining timber – so more room to maneuver the cars now.
Started framing out the port side shed floor, ready to take the plywood floor, will repeat the process on the starboard side. Also dropped into the timber merchants and purchased the last of the truss material – 4 more to go.
FINALLY … back on ANZAC over the weekend (Sunday) – spent 4 hours with Terry putting up purlins, replaced a truss which was brought down by last weeks storm – a case of having put it in place (temporarily) 5 weeks ago as it started to rain thinking I would be back the next day to finish …. 5 weeks later the rain stops, but too late.
We put the tarp back over the cockpit opening, I was hopping some of the rain and air would help air out the boat.
We have 4 trusses to go and the platform then we can cover her up.
Saturday 05.08.2017 – A few hours this morning – Took the tarp off ANZAC today, as the interior is stripped out and the boat is currently damp anyway – plus I did not want to fall through to opening where the wheel house has been removed – will fold this up ready for forming the roof.
I continued to install trusses – 3 of them – I will need to order some more materials for the more trusses (will need to make a further 3). Six trusses installed, seven to go!
Sunday 06.08.2017 – continued to make more trusses – made 3 today with Terry’s help. So have 4 ready for installation – we now have run out of truss material. Some of the trusses have got slight bows to them as well as the curve – a bit of a pain but will have to do.