A weekly update here – more of the same but a lot more progress. Started the week making more plugs, removing ribs and sanding the interior planks around the bow. I then epoxied in plugs looking to finish off the port side ready for rib installation – only a few rib removals left.
For a change I cut out the damaged planks on the starboard side.
I then opened up the planks around the front stem as they looked in poor condition as well as not sitting right. One of the planks was split so needed to be replaced.
Will have to replace a section of the front stem. Finished the weekend by purchasing some Kauri planks to replace the ones removed.
Spent a few hours on Saturday and Sunday removing more ribs from ANZAC and cleaning up the inside of the hull.
I put the sander on to some of the interior structural timbers – the original builders used some beautiful timber when she was first built! I am also cleaning any paint from the interior side of the hull planks – this is much easier with the ribs out and is taking no time at all – it will look like new once the ribs are back in.
Rib removal is not very exciting but I am starting to see more progress. The stern section only requires 4 ribs to be replaced (as at some point this area has been replace recently) the other 3 sections we will replace them all, will be tricky around the engine beds.
The new rib material was delivered on Friday, so I dropped into the chandlery store to confirm the correct gauge copper nails – I will order these this week, but want to firstly re-count the number required. I also checked out the size of roves used – there appears to be a mixture used on ANZAC depending on where you look.
Will have a go at plugging the old nail holes this week.
Have received confirmation that the ribs will be delivered this week some time. So need to crack on and start preparing for the installation.
Today with Terry we started to remove every second rib in the second bay on the port side. Grinding off the old copper roves and punching out the copper nails. Will need to epoxy in some plugs where the old nails have been removed.
Will source the copper nails and roves this week also, expect these to cost as much as the ribs.
Update over Christmas and the New year period. Went for a week holiday to Fiji so not much done at all. Have however I removed the brass trim and started sanding the exterior. A bit of work to do here but the attachment to the grinder is working well and removing paint quickly.
It is all creating a lot of dust which is covering everything – the vacuum is getting a work out.
The upper deck levels where it has been glassed over looks as thought the glass is in very good condition, so may only need a light sand and patches where it is damaged and then a re-paint should do it.
I have also removed on of the port side glass panes, came out easily enough, these will all require re-glazing.
Its amazing what can be done when the weather clears up. On the Saturday I managed to install the covers to the front of the boat shed and place some more plywood on the floor – only 4 sheets to go then the floor will be complete also.
Sunday, with help from my father, we installed the cover over the rear section and framed a timber louvre to allow some air flow. We also did a tidy up and I built a step into the rear door. Just have a pair of doors to build now and the last few sheets of ply and we will be back onto the boat proper.
Some other small jobs completed were the removal of the scaffold from the rear entry and removal of the temporary roof from where the wheel house was removed. Just to say that I did work on the boat I also removed the sliding doors from the rear cabin and what was left of the fabric covers.
Finally the weather has started to calm down and some fine days have come along. With Terry’s help we managed to get two tarpaulin’s on the frame and secured down. Another couple of days like this we will be back onto working on Anzac properly!
The whole structure has been anchored to the ground by straps and large water filled drums – there will be 4 straps with 8 drums in total – one every second truss.
I decided to drape the tarpaulin’s over as opposed to along the structure – I figure I will save myself the cost of hiring a hoist to get the last tarp on.
The rain has continued – the result being only a few hours of work on the shed over the long weekend. Terry came around and helped me install the last of the bracing (4 bays). Stopping and starting between showers. During the week I also picked up the plywood which will form the floor.
We are now ready for the cladding to go up – hopefully the rain and wind will stop and we have a clear run to finish the temporary shed.