Category Archives: Ribs

More Plugs

Weekly update – to 27 August 2018

Not much more to report other than more plugs going in. Though I did purchase a drill press to speed up the process of making the plugs.

I did crank up the steamer on Saturday for an hour, will need to modify on of the hatches as the heat has deformed part of the steam pipe.

Advertisements

Weekly Update

Week ending 05 August 2018

Not much happened over the last week, more plugs (will need to make some more), sanding the superstructure and I made the steam box.

Sanding – was sick of plus so I sanded down the port side of the supper structure, working my way down to the hull, no pictures but very dusty.

20180804_173225

Also cleaned up the inside of the hull where ribs removed.

Steam box – made from a 250mm dia PVC drainage pipe and a wall paper streamer, made some stands and inserted some spacers. I did a test run and it held the stream really well. I just need to add a condensation drain in the base.

 

Rib Removal (Con)

7 & 8 July 2018

Spent a few hours on Saturday and Sunday removing more ribs from ANZAC and cleaning up the inside of the hull.

I put the sander on to some of the interior structural timbers – the original builders used some beautiful timber when she was first built! I am also cleaning any paint from the interior side of the hull planks – this is much easier with the ribs out and is taking no time at all – it will look like new once the ribs are back in.

Rib removal is not very exciting but I am starting to see more progress. The stern section only requires 4 ribs to be replaced (as at some point this area has been replace recently) the other 3 sections we will replace them all, will be tricky around the engine beds.

The new rib material was delivered on Friday, so I dropped into the chandlery store to confirm the correct gauge copper nails – I will order these this week, but want to firstly re-count the number required. I also checked out the size of roves used – there appears to be a mixture used on ANZAC depending on where you look.

 

Will have a go at plugging the old nail holes this week.