Category Archives: Uncategorized

Moving Day!

Monday 4 March 2019

Moving day has finally arrived. Spent the last few weeks removing the canopy and preparing for today. Boat Haulage helped with the move – always impressed with the skill of these guys – a big thumps up to Pete, Luke and the team.


The move was only 5 minutes down the road – so not long enough to blow all the dust out. Now to construct a new cover!





ANZAC sees the light!

18 February 2019

The covers have now been removed and daylight for the first time on ANZAC for the first time in 2 years.

Moving day is now booked in for 4th March with the guys from Boat Haulage. I am now in full pack down mode (House and Launch). Spent last weekend removing the tarps and dismantling the canopy. Have already disposed of a lot of rubbish, having to be practical with what is going back on and what is junk.

As you can see she has been stripped back and has a few holes – hopefully all the dust will get a chance to blow out of her during the move! (I did vacuum already)






January 2019 Update

Sorry to those who like to follow this web site – the delay in getting posts up is due to having to move ANZAC to a new location.

This is the problem with 2 year refurbishments which turn into major refits and extend into year 3 and 4 – is that life carries on. So we are moving.

January then consisted mainly of tiding up and doing the odd small job – current pictures below.






Weekly catch up

Weed ending 16.09.2018

Not much going on at the moment work wise on the boat – spent a few hours on Sunday sanding down the plugs on the port side and then sanding the top deck.

Making plugs are sucking all the fun out of the rebuild. Will post some pictures when I get the chance.

Have been busy at work and with Coastguard stuff.

Weekly Update

Week ending 05 August 2018

Not much happened over the last week, more plugs (will need to make some more), sanding the superstructure and I made the steam box.

Sanding – was sick of plus so I sanded down the port side of the supper structure, working my way down to the hull, no pictures but very dusty.


Also cleaned up the inside of the hull where ribs removed.

Steam box – made from a 250mm dia PVC drainage pipe and a wall paper streamer, made some stands and inserted some spacers. I did a test run and it held the stream really well. I just need to add a condensation drain in the base.


More Rib Removal


Did a further two hours tonight – removing more ribs, and sanding the interior of the hull where the ribs have been removed.

I have three more sections to remove every second rib then the plugging of the old copper nail holes and we will then be in full swing of installing newly steamed ribs.

No pictures as rib removal is bit boring to photograph as well as to look at.

Temporary Boat Shed – Progress


More progress on the temporary boat shed, the rain stopped for a few days allowing me to manufactured 7 of the 14 timber trusses, using the template I made the previous weekend – ran out of stainless screws will get some this week.

I had 2 boards crack on me when bending them – generally where there are knots in the timber. I have used the lengths anyway but made sure they made the inside panel – then secured another shorter section over the crack to reinforce it – looks as though these will be fine.

Progress is also under way on the perimeter platform with the framing starting to take shape.


I am going to re-design the front of the temporary shed – will make it curved rather than flat, I will save on one or two trusses and it will not take up so much room – the bow is thin anyway so there will be loads of room at that end of the structure.

I will also change the ridge connection detail to make it simpler to install – will post some photographs when I get a chance.

I managed to get one truss up late yesterday – to see how it looks and to make sure there is enough head room to lift the rear cabin roof an extra 200mm.


Stock pile of timber – will be using it all!





Motor Removal – land mark day!

10 March 2017

This is one of a number of land mark days for the refurbishment of ANZAC.

I booked in with Swans Transport Ltd to use one of their hiabs to remove the motor and fuel tank this morning – the weather has been shocking for the past week, and 5 minutes before their arrived it stopped raining.

Off went the tarp and we made a plan – with a bit of maneuvering we lifted the motor out of the opening where the wheel house used to be.

The night before I managed to undo the shaft connection – or what I thought was the shaft connection – I was correct. It came out easily only an old coolant pipe put up any resistance.

The fuel tank was only held in by 2 bolts and one screw. Job done in an hour just as the rain started to come down again.


The motor is now undercover waiting for its overhaul.


The gap left now needs a tidy up – grease, mud, fuel, etc. – with the motor now out this allows me to crack on with the interior works.



Progress Update – Sanding

18 February 2016

Today I had an extra labourer – my uncle came by and gave me a hand for the day. We started on the tender first and removed the remainder of the paint on the exterior of the hull that I wanted to remove. Using the Speed heater with 2 people is much fast than working with it on your own – within an hour and a half we had this paint off and the mess cleaned up.

We switched to ANZAC, as this is what he wanted to work on. Sanding was the order of the day. a bit of a fail with the sander so we continued the old fashion way with block and sand paper – this worked well – the speed heater had done a great job removing the paint earlier, so what was left was just a thin film.

Was too busy sanding to stop and take pictures so will post some shortly.