Tag Archives: Kauri Launch

Pits and pieces

Update to 13 December 2017

Have completed the walkway platform around the boat, and am underway with the final strip out/off.

Removing brass trims, and fittings now we have a dry working area.

Have cleaned off the last of the moss etc. and dismantles the skylight. Back canopy doors have been removed (she looks like a different boat without these sliding doors).

Advertisements

More Boat Shed Construction

Thursday 28.09.2017

Have managed to complete the floor framing on the port side, and construct and erect two more trusses complete with purlins. Also installed the nail plates across the top of the paired trusses – effectively fixing them together. Also cleaned up and sorted the remaining timber – so more room to maneuver the cars now.

Boat Shed Floor

Sunday 25.09.2017

Started framing out the port side shed floor, ready to take the plywood floor, will repeat the process on the starboard side. Also dropped into the timber merchants and purchased the last of the truss material – 4 more to go.

More Canopy Work

17.09.2017

FINALLY … back on ANZAC over the weekend (Sunday) – spent 4 hours with Terry putting up purlins, replaced a truss which was brought down by last weeks storm – a case of having put it in place (temporarily) 5 weeks ago as it started to rain thinking I would be back the next day to finish …. 5 weeks later the rain stops, but too late.

20170918_082857

We put the tarp back over the cockpit opening, I was hopping some of the rain and air would help air out the boat.

We have 4 trusses to go and the platform then we can cover her up.

Boat Shed Progress

29-30 July 2017 – as luck would have it, the weather has cleared up – forecast for both Saturday and Sunday clear blue sky’s! Perfect – but timing off. Busy all weekend with family, birthdays lunches etc.

I did manage 2-3 hours on the Saturday afternoon to complete the base framing and measure out the top plate for the arches – cut and fixed plate to the arch already in place. Have the template now for the remainder which I can prepare on the ground.

Managed to install a few of the trusses and get part of the ridge board up.

Also had a “Jesus moment” and managed to put a nail through my finger.

Temporary Boat Shed – continued

22 July 2017

Saturday was taken up with rough water boat handling with the Coastguard Kaipara Unit I belong to – out on the bar – good stuff, short sharp swell up to a meter or so in height, we had all had enough come 1300. Even the seals with their pups had taken shelter behind South Head.

23 July 2017

Sunday – Rained on and off all day until I had had enough about 1500 – I worked on my own and continued framing up the base of the temporary boat shed. The posts are all down, just need to complete the bracing and frame the floor out ready to receive the plywood topping.

I picked up more screws and some nail plates to hold down the trusses during the week, fixed one to the truss already in position. Will need to space the remaining trusses around the opening for the motor when it is re-installed – want to be able to open the roof up drop the motor in and close it all up again.

The western end (front) of the shed I change the design to take one truss at 90 degrees to the others – creating a curved end as opposed to a flat one – this has saved some space.

 

 

 

 

Rib Review and Demolition

13 May 2016

Spent a few hours on ANZAC over the weekend, wanted to review the number of ribs which need replacing. Now that the inside has been stripped out it was much easier to inspect.

The result was that most of the ribs port and starboard in the front section require replacement with fewer towards the stern.

Summary as follows;

  • 30No ribs first section
  • 26No ribs second section
  • 14No ribs third section
  • 4No ribs fourth section

Total required 74No.

Spent the rest of my time removing the blocks (where boards have been butted up to each other.

This revealed the spot where I think she had been taking on water. Also broke out the multi tool and trimmed off some plugs on the inside of the stern quarter which had been annoying me – looks tidier now.

20170513_161535