For a few hours after work spare I wanted to complete the sanding to the top deck/roof, there was only about 1/4 left to tick this job off.
Managed to get this completed as well as more sanding around the windows.
Sunday 1 July 2018
Have received confirmation that the ribs will be delivered this week some time. So need to crack on and start preparing for the installation.
Today with Terry we started to remove every second rib in the second bay on the port side. Grinding off the old copper roves and punching out the copper nails. Will need to epoxy in some plugs where the old nails have been removed.
Will source the copper nails and roves this week also, expect these to cost as much as the ribs.
Up to January 15, 2018
Update over Christmas and the New year period. Went for a week holiday to Fiji so not much done at all. Have however I removed the brass trim and started sanding the exterior. A bit of work to do here but the attachment to the grinder is working well and removing paint quickly.
It is all creating a lot of dust which is covering everything – the vacuum is getting a work out.
The upper deck levels where it has been glassed over looks as thought the glass is in very good condition, so may only need a light sand and patches where it is damaged and then a re-paint should do it.
I have also removed on of the port side glass panes, came out easily enough, these will all require re-glazing.
Update to 13 December 2017
Have completed the walkway platform around the boat, and am underway with the final strip out/off.
Removing brass trims, and fittings now we have a dry working area.
Have cleaned off the last of the moss etc. and dismantles the skylight. Back canopy doors have been removed (she looks like a different boat without these sliding doors).
Weekend 25 & 26 November 2017
Its amazing what can be done when the weather clears up. On the Saturday I managed to install the covers to the front of the boat shed and place some more plywood on the floor – only 4 sheets to go then the floor will be complete also.
Sunday, with help from my father, we installed the cover over the rear section and framed a timber louvre to allow some air flow. We also did a tidy up and I built a step into the rear door. Just have a pair of doors to build now and the last few sheets of ply and we will be back onto the boat proper.
Some other small jobs completed were the removal of the scaffold from the rear entry and removal of the temporary roof from where the wheel house was removed. Just to say that I did work on the boat I also removed the sliding doors from the rear cabin and what was left of the fabric covers.
19 November 2017
Again with help from Terry two more covers were placed over ANZAC. Just the ends now to complete the structures roof. Will look to install the floor soon.
I have used water filled drums as weights, with heavy duty straps to help weigh down the structure – reducing the risk of wind getting under the cover and lifting off.
Finally the weather has started to calm down and some fine days have come along. With Terry’s help we managed to get two tarpaulin’s on the frame and secured down. Another couple of days like this we will be back onto working on Anzac properly!
The whole structure has been anchored to the ground by straps and large water filled drums – there will be 4 straps with 8 drums in total – one every second truss.
I decided to drape the tarpaulin’s over as opposed to along the structure – I figure I will save myself the cost of hiring a hoist to get the last tarp on.
23 October 2017
The rain has continued – the result being only a few hours of work on the shed over the long weekend. Terry came around and helped me install the last of the bracing (4 bays). Stopping and starting between showers. During the week I also picked up the plywood which will form the floor.
We are now ready for the cladding to go up – hopefully the rain and wind will stop and we have a clear run to finish the temporary shed.
15 October 2017
This weekend (really Sunday only) Terry and I framed out the floor to the front section of the shed, completed the Northern side and framed the stern section floor.
Since the weather was fine we also framed the stern wall and created the opening for a large pair of doors – these will be next weeks task along with the ply floor and remainder of the bracing.
October 2nd – 8th
With some time off and a break in the weather, I was able to spend some time on constructing the boat shed.
Firstly I had purchased some 220L plastic drums – 8No – which I intend to fill with water and use as weights to help secure the shed to the ground (as this is only a temporary structure). – I will show how this is to be done later.
I built a temporary platform to give me access to the last 2 trusses. I built the trusses and installed these all in one morning then continued framing out the floor ready for plywood.
The front curve frame was next – framed this up to give me enough space to be able to work around with sufficient room, dismantled the truss template and re-used these materials.
Started adding the strip bracing until I ran out of materials – have ordered some more so will complete the bracing this week.
Jobs to complete the boat shed include;