Author Archives: gregorypaulskinner

About gregorypaulskinner

Family Historian, uncovering the history of the Stanaway Family in New Zealand.

Weekly Update

Week ending 05 August 2018

Not much happened over the last week, more plugs (will need to make some more), sanding the superstructure and I made the steam box.

Sanding – was sick of plus so I sanded down the port side of the supper structure, working my way down to the hull, no pictures but very dusty.

20180804_173225

Also cleaned up the inside of the hull where ribs removed.

Steam box – made from a 250mm dia PVC drainage pipe and a wall paper streamer, made some stands and inserted some spacers. I did a test run and it held the stream really well. I just need to add a condensation drain in the base.

 

More Rib Removal

12.07.2018

Did a further two hours tonight – removing more ribs, and sanding the interior of the hull where the ribs have been removed.

I have three more sections to remove every second rib then the plugging of the old copper nail holes and we will then be in full swing of installing newly steamed ribs.

No pictures as rib removal is bit boring to photograph as well as to look at.

Rib Removal (Con)

7 & 8 July 2018

Spent a few hours on Saturday and Sunday removing more ribs from ANZAC and cleaning up the inside of the hull.

I put the sander on to some of the interior structural timbers – the original builders used some beautiful timber when she was first built! I am also cleaning any paint from the interior side of the hull planks – this is much easier with the ribs out and is taking no time at all – it will look like new once the ribs are back in.

Rib removal is not very exciting but I am starting to see more progress. The stern section only requires 4 ribs to be replaced (as at some point this area has been replace recently) the other 3 sections we will replace them all, will be tricky around the engine beds.

The new rib material was delivered on Friday, so I dropped into the chandlery store to confirm the correct gauge copper nails – I will order these this week, but want to firstly re-count the number required. I also checked out the size of roves used – there appears to be a mixture used on ANZAC depending on where you look.

 

Will have a go at plugging the old nail holes this week.

 

 

Rib Removal

Sunday 1 July 2018

Have received confirmation that the ribs will be delivered this week some time. So need to crack on and start preparing for the installation.

Today with Terry we started to remove every second rib in the second bay on the port side. Grinding off the old copper roves and punching out the copper nails. Will need to epoxy in some plugs where the old nails have been removed.

Will source the copper nails and roves this week also, expect these to cost as much as the ribs.

 

Sanding

 

Sunday & Monday 24 & 25.06.2018

For a couple of hours in the afternoon/evenings on Sunday and Monday I continued sanding ANZAC. Starting from the highest point and working my way down. When I take some pictures I will post them but really not very exciting to look at.

The current state of the glassed and painted surface over the main cabin roof is that patches have been worn away, in some areas the 5mm thick plywood underlay had been exposed.

The task is to sand off the paint and the fiberglass back to expose the plywood. Repair any areas then apply new glass and paint – will look to tidy up trim around the roof lights and fittings at the same time.

Progress is that 2/3’s of the main canopy has been sanded back to timber. Some areas are still in very good condition – but it all needs to go. Will need a few more sanding pads!

 

Rear Canopy Removal

Sunday 17 June 2018

Today the rear canopy was removed. After some puffing and panting Terry and I managed to get the canopy off and outside the boat shed.

Started to clean up the remainder of the window frames etc. which we cut around. ANZAC is starting to look more like her original self when first launched.

I will look to re-use the canopy although I intend to reduce the overall size of it, and add a hatch over the steering area. The windows will be increased in size also.

20180621_114936

Current state of the interior

 

Only a few more items left to remove – winch, rudder, prop and misc. fittings and she will be back to the straight framing. The ribs have been ordered – due mid July. So I intend to have the last items removed and the hull sanded before the ribs arrive. Then onto replacing most if not all the ribs – need to order copper nails and roves!

20180621_114858

Started to remove rudder shaft, and the block it sits on – the block is well gone.