Have taken a break from the “big boat” to continue on the tender. Have been removing the paint from the hull. Using my boat cradle that I made last week, and have turned the tender upside down.
Have decided to remove the paint from the top 4 boards only and depending on how they look once sanded will decide if I will paint or polyurethane. Have found already a few places where fiberglass has been used to repair cracks in boards so we will see if these can be repaired.
Other cracks in the hull appear to be in the fiberglass which appears to have been applied to the boards below the waterline. These I have been cleaning out and sanding.
A few days ago I purchased the materials I needed to build a cradle for the tender (clinker), have been meaning to for some time to put this together. I spotted on the internet a few ideas and have modified to something I think will work.
With the adjustable straps (tie downs) supporting the boat I believe I can have the tender both up the right way and upside down – will see how it goes.
I cut out the frame on the 1st Feb and assembled on the 5nd Feb. I will attach some castor wheels to the base so I can wheel it in and out of the garage – keeping the dust out of the place.
Continued stripping down the trailer – disassembled all parts, will need to replace the suspension, having trouble with one tire, noticed that one side of wheel nuts are a different size to the other side.
Winding gear OK just needs a new spring.
Have put on a coat of rust killer – only surface rust in some parts. Primer and top coats to come – that will be the next post.
While organizing the extraction of the motor from ANZAC I am working on the tender – currently not named. The trailer it comes on needs a re-paint so have started to clean and strip it down. Have loaded the grinder with a new disc and on with the cleaning.
14 September 2016 – Have been spending some time cleaning down a clinker I have purchased (late August) to use as the tender for ANZAC. I have a picture of the tender Captain Daniel had and was wanting to have something similar.
ANZAC’s tender in the 1920’s with “Spot”.
It came with a trailer (no WOF or REG) needs a bit of work so have been scratching around with that – will try to have this ready for this summer so the kids can have a play. It needs some work (naturally) but have cleaned her out and am now in the process of removing paint and repairs.