Tag Archives: Boat builders

Temporary Boat Shed Part 2

Has been a while – busy at work, and the weather has been constantly wet.

I have not bee slacking though. I have purchased and had delivered the first lot of timber to construct the temporary boat shed (last week).

Over the weekend we built the template for the arches – see the attached pictures. It is easier to bend the frames by simply standing on them. I marked out where the packers are to go and put a stop end on – this will allow me to make the apex match on each arch.

Now to make 12 sets of arches.

Again the timber was too wet to cut some of the larger lengths of wood – first casualty was my old skill saw (22 years old) cooked the motor – so time to get a new one.

20170702_140945

20170702_140926

20170702_140929

20170702_140937

20170702_140918

 

 

 

Temporary Boat Shed

I have had a quiet few weeks, with rain, birthdays etc. ANZAC has had to wait. In the mean time after searching for a design for a temporary cover solution I came across an example which I have developed further.

The design I settled on was similar to a traditional pacific island building, two 1/4 arches meeting a ridge board at the top, down to an edge board, and covering with old billboard sheets. I have also included a plywood platform to be installed around the inside – this will give me a better working height (as ANZAC is packed 500mm off the ground) as well as a clean platform.

I have started on one of the arches as a trial to see how it will work – will provide pictures in another post of the progress.

Below are the sketches I came up with – am now looking around the materials.

OptionsFrameDetails

Rib Review and Demolition

13 May 2016

Spent a few hours on ANZAC over the weekend, wanted to review the number of ribs which need replacing. Now that the inside has been stripped out it was much easier to inspect.

The result was that most of the ribs port and starboard in the front section require replacement with fewer towards the stern.

Summary as follows;

  • 30No ribs first section
  • 26No ribs second section
  • 14No ribs third section
  • 4No ribs fourth section

Total required 74No.

Spent the rest of my time removing the blocks (where boards have been butted up to each other.

This revealed the spot where I think she had been taking on water. Also broke out the multi tool and trimmed off some plugs on the inside of the stern quarter which had been annoying me – looks tidier now.

20170513_161535

 

Bulkhead Removal

30.04.2017

Decided to remove the bulkheads surrounding the engine bay, the bulkhead to the toilet need to go anyway and the other bulkhead has been hacked around so much that there was no reason to keep it.

With the help of Terry, both walls came out relatively easily, the last of the floor where the fuel tank sat required the grinder.

We finished off the day removing the hydraulic arm and scrapping the cockpit. all this uncovered more ribs which need replacing – will mark these up record lengths and get the materials ordered.

20170501_072702

Internal Cleaning

23.04.2017

Once again Terry came round – we continued on the interior. Terry vacuumed from the stern through to the bow in sections as I scrapped out the years of mud and silt around the engine bay. The paint that was water blasted off last week had dried enough to be hovered up. Will need to spray some degreaser around and have another water blast from stem to stern – any paint left will have to be scrapped or sanded.

Not long now and we will be ready for rib replacement 🙂

I have decided to remove the internal bulkheads around the engine and toilet area, the original panels have been cut up so much that I don’t think they are worth saving – will replace with similar paneling. (I will keep some of the off cuts as these can be used to repair the rear bulkhead).

Picture quality not the greatest.

Easter Update

14 – 17 April 2017 – An update over the Easter break.

Terry came over again and gave me a hand with more internal scrapping – it was too wet over the weekend to get any lead paint on the inside.

I water blasted the interior of the forward two sections where the motor was removed and forward bunk area – the paint was more or less falling off in these areas.

Will need to remove the last of the floor boards and water blast those areas also – but will need to clean out the bucket loads of silt, mud, etc. before though – I will wait now for it to dry out.

There will be some more scrapping of the stubborn paint, but I will get the water blaster back and have another go and include the stern areas also.

I continued water blasting the forward top deck, while the covers were off, a few layers of paint came of – yellow, blue and white.

All the internal fittings have now been remove excluding the anchor chain, winch to the same and the hydraulic arm for the rudder, will try and get these removed this week and that will be the last of the demolition. Now for the cleaning and scrapping internal – this will let me finally confirm how many ribs need replacing.

Time to build a temporary cover over the entire boat.

 

Naming “ANZAC”

14 February 2017

Have been thinking about the name on the boat including where to place it and what else I might want to go along side the name.

With out question I am going to rename the boat “ANZAC”, the name she had when my great grandfather was her skipper. To this I was going to add “Sulphur Beach, NZ” underneath in reference to her initial builders Bailey and Lowe who’s yard was on Sulphur Beach.

Bailey and Lowe Yard

I will have this in the center of the stern with “ANZAC” forming an arch over the top with “Sulphur Beach, NZ” forming the opposite curve on the bottom in a slightly smaller font.

I may include some aspects of the WW1 NZEF badge in some way – still thinking about how.

onward-ww2

Am also thinking about putting “ANZAC” on the port and starboard side of the forward hull – we will see.