With some time off and a break in the weather, I was able to spend some time on constructing the boat shed.
Firstly I had purchased some 220L plastic drums – 8No – which I intend to fill with water and use as weights to help secure the shed to the ground (as this is only a temporary structure). – I will show how this is to be done later.
I built a temporary platform to give me access to the last 2 trusses. I built the trusses and installed these all in one morning then continued framing out the floor ready for plywood.
The front curve frame was next – framed this up to give me enough space to be able to work around with sufficient room, dismantled the truss template and re-used these materials.
Started adding the strip bracing until I ran out of materials – have ordered some more so will complete the bracing this week.
Jobs to complete the boat shed include;
Install balance of bracing
Frame out for plywood floor
Install plywood flooring
Frame end wall, with door opening and ventilation (Make doors)
Have managed to complete the floor framing on the port side, and construct and erect two more trusses complete with purlins. Also installed the nail plates across the top of the paired trusses – effectively fixing them together. Also cleaned up and sorted the remaining timber – so more room to maneuver the cars now.
Started framing out the port side shed floor, ready to take the plywood floor, will repeat the process on the starboard side. Also dropped into the timber merchants and purchased the last of the truss material – 4 more to go.
FINALLY … back on ANZAC over the weekend (Sunday) – spent 4 hours with Terry putting up purlins, replaced a truss which was brought down by last weeks storm – a case of having put it in place (temporarily) 5 weeks ago as it started to rain thinking I would be back the next day to finish …. 5 weeks later the rain stops, but too late.
We put the tarp back over the cockpit opening, I was hopping some of the rain and air would help air out the boat.
We have 4 trusses to go and the platform then we can cover her up.
Saturday 05.08.2017 – A few hours this morning – Took the tarp off ANZAC today, as the interior is stripped out and the boat is currently damp anyway – plus I did not want to fall through to opening where the wheel house has been removed – will fold this up ready for forming the roof.
I continued to install trusses – 3 of them – I will need to order some more materials for the more trusses (will need to make a further 3). Six trusses installed, seven to go!
Sunday 06.08.2017 – continued to make more trusses – made 3 today with Terry’s help. So have 4 ready for installation – we now have run out of truss material. Some of the trusses have got slight bows to them as well as the curve – a bit of a pain but will have to do.
29-30 July 2017 – as luck would have it, the weather has cleared up – forecast for both Saturday and Sunday clear blue sky’s! Perfect – but timing off. Busy all weekend with family, birthdays lunches etc.
I did manage 2-3 hours on the Saturday afternoon to complete the base framing and measure out the top plate for the arches – cut and fixed plate to the arch already in place. Have the template now for the remainder which I can prepare on the ground.
Managed to install a few of the trusses and get part of the ridge board up.
Also had a “Jesus moment” and managed to put a nail through my finger.
Saturday was taken up with rough water boat handling with the Coastguard Kaipara Unit I belong to – out on the bar – good stuff, short sharp swell up to a meter or so in height, we had all had enough come 1300. Even the seals with their pups had taken shelter behind South Head.
23 July 2017
Sunday – Rained on and off all day until I had had enough about 1500 – I worked on my own and continued framing up the base of the temporary boat shed. The posts are all down, just need to complete the bracing and frame the floor out ready to receive the plywood topping.
I picked up more screws and some nail plates to hold down the trusses during the week, fixed one to the truss already in position. Will need to space the remaining trusses around the opening for the motor when it is re-installed – want to be able to open the roof up drop the motor in and close it all up again.
The western end (front) of the shed I change the design to take one truss at 90 degrees to the others – creating a curved end as opposed to a flat one – this has saved some space.
More progress on the temporary boat shed, the rain stopped for a few days allowing me to manufactured 7 of the 14 timber trusses, using the template I made the previous weekend – ran out of stainless screws will get some this week.
I had 2 boards crack on me when bending them – generally where there are knots in the timber. I have used the lengths anyway but made sure they made the inside panel – then secured another shorter section over the crack to reinforce it – looks as though these will be fine.
Progress is also under way on the perimeter platform with the framing starting to take shape.
I am going to re-design the front of the temporary shed – will make it curved rather than flat, I will save on one or two trusses and it will not take up so much room – the bow is thin anyway so there will be loads of room at that end of the structure.
I will also change the ridge connection detail to make it simpler to install – will post some photographs when I get a chance.
I managed to get one truss up late yesterday – to see how it looks and to make sure there is enough head room to lift the rear cabin roof an extra 200mm.