Update over Christmas and the New year period. Went for a week holiday to Fiji so not much done at all. Have however I removed the brass trim and started sanding the exterior. A bit of work to do here but the attachment to the grinder is working well and removing paint quickly.
It is all creating a lot of dust which is covering everything – the vacuum is getting a work out.
The upper deck levels where it has been glassed over looks as thought the glass is in very good condition, so may only need a light sand and patches where it is damaged and then a re-paint should do it.
I have also removed on of the port side glass panes, came out easily enough, these will all require re-glazing.
Its amazing what can be done when the weather clears up. On the Saturday I managed to install the covers to the front of the boat shed and place some more plywood on the floor – only 4 sheets to go then the floor will be complete also.
Sunday, with help from my father, we installed the cover over the rear section and framed a timber louvre to allow some air flow. We also did a tidy up and I built a step into the rear door. Just have a pair of doors to build now and the last few sheets of ply and we will be back onto the boat proper.
Some other small jobs completed were the removal of the scaffold from the rear entry and removal of the temporary roof from where the wheel house was removed. Just to say that I did work on the boat I also removed the sliding doors from the rear cabin and what was left of the fabric covers.
Finally the weather has started to calm down and some fine days have come along. With Terry’s help we managed to get two tarpaulin’s on the frame and secured down. Another couple of days like this we will be back onto working on Anzac properly!
The whole structure has been anchored to the ground by straps and large water filled drums – there will be 4 straps with 8 drums in total – one every second truss.
I decided to drape the tarpaulin’s over as opposed to along the structure – I figure I will save myself the cost of hiring a hoist to get the last tarp on.
The rain has continued – the result being only a few hours of work on the shed over the long weekend. Terry came around and helped me install the last of the bracing (4 bays). Stopping and starting between showers. During the week I also picked up the plywood which will form the floor.
We are now ready for the cladding to go up – hopefully the rain and wind will stop and we have a clear run to finish the temporary shed.